Court accepts petition challenging government’s B400bn borrowing decree
Government to submit explanatory documents within seven days
PUBLISHED : 18 May 2026 at 19:24

Thailand’s Constitutional Court on Monday accepted a petition from the parliamentary opposition challenging the legality of a government emergency decree to borrow 400 billion baht (US$12.26 billion) to support the economy amid the fallout from the Middle East conflict.
The court in a statement said it has instructed the government to submit explanatory documents within seven days.
The government approved the loan decree earlier this month, with half of the borrowing for mitigating the cost of living, largely through a consumer subsidy scheme, and the other half for supporting a transition to clean energy.
Finance Minister Ekniti Nitithanprapas earlier said the decree remains in effect and can still move forward.
When filing the petition, opposition People’s Party leader Natthaphong Ruengpanyawut said he supported the transition to clean energy, but “we do not agree with using an emergency borrowing decree.”
The finance minister said on Monday that the impact of the war will be felt in the current quarter after Southeast Asia’s second-largest expanded 2.8% on the year, more than expected, in the first quarter of 2026.
The borrowed sum is among the highest in recent history, but below levels seen during the 1997 Asian financial crisis and the coronavirus 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic years.
Public debt stood at 66.4% of the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) in March, below the 70% ceiling, and the new loans will not breach the limit, Mr Ekniti said.
Thailand’s core inflation rate is forecast to reach 3% this year because of energy cost impacts, up from an earlier estimate of 0.3%.
Source – Bangkok News

