Israel says it has released and deported all Gaza flotilla activists

TEL AVIV/DUBLIN: The Israeli government said on May 21 that all the activists from a flotilla trying to break Israel’s naval blockade of Gaza have now been released and deported.

The treatment of the activists caused anger in several countries, which called in Israeli diplomats to express their concerns. Israel’s Foreign Ministry said all foreign activists had been sent out of the country and were flown from an airport near the southern city of Eilat.

A legal rights group said that one participant, Zohar Regev, an Israeli citizen, was released after a court hearing in Ashkelon. He was accused of entering and staying in Israel illegally and had taken part in similar flotillas before.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he ordered that the activists be deported quickly. He also criticized National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir for a video showing him mocking detained activists who were handcuffed and kneeling. Netanyahu said that while Israel has the right to stop such flotillas, Ben-Gvir’s behavior did not match the country’s values.

Ben-Gvir had shared videos of himself walking among about 430 detainees. In one clip, activists with their hands tied behind their backs were kneeling with their heads down in what looked like a temporary detention area on a ship.

Countries including the United Kingdom, France, and Portugal protested and summoned Israeli envoys over how the activists were treated. France’s foreign minister said Ben-Gvir’s actions were unacceptable, even by the standards of his own government colleagues. Turkey, Greece, Italy, and Indonesia also criticized Israel.

Turkey said it was sending planes to bring back its citizens and others involved in the flotilla. Around 85 Turkish nationals were part of the group.

The flotilla began in April when dozens of boats left Spain to raise awareness about the conditions of nearly 2 million Palestinians in Gaza. Israel stopped 20 boats near the Greek island of Crete on April 30 and forced most activists to leave.

Two well-known activists were taken to Israel, questioned, detained for about a week, and then deported. They later accused Israel of torture, which Israel denied. Brazil and Spain also criticized Israel over the incident.

The activists later regrouped, and more than 50 boats left from Turkey on May 14. Israeli forces started stopping them about 268 km from Gaza, near Cyprus.

Meanwhile, in Dublin, Foreign Affairs Minister Helen McEntee told parliament that 14 Irish citizens who were part of the aid flotilla had been moved to Ramon Airport and will be flown to Istanbul. They had earlier been held at Ktziot detention center after being transferred from Ashdod port.

McEntee said Ireland would send an ambassador to meet them, but officials had so far been denied direct access to the detainees. She condemned the situation, calling it unacceptable. She also said reports suggested two detainees were injured, but they were not Irish citizens.

A video shared on May 21 shows Israel’s national security minister, Itamar Ben-Gvir, walking among the detainees and saying they should stay in prison for a long time. The footage shows some detainees kneeling close together with their hands tied behind their backs.

Irish government leaders strongly criticized both the video and the detention of those on the flotilla.

She criticized the way the detainees were treated and said it was unacceptable that Ireland had not been allowed to contact its citizens. McEntee added that she is working with the European Union to take action against Israel and plans to introduce Irish laws soon to stop imports from the Occupied Palestinian Territories, even if there is no EU-wide agreement.

One of those detained was Dr. Margaret Connolly, the sister of President Catherine Connolly. Earlier in the week, a family member said she was proud of her but also very worried about her and the others on board. 

Source – Indonesia News